Fee: £150/day – estimated 15.50 full days or equivalent hours where 1 day is equivalent to 8 hours
Location: Pre-show meetings virtual/hybrid, rehearsals London/Manchester (in-person attendance required). Where in-person work is required, we will cover hotels, travel and per diems for people outside a reasonable/accessible commute.
Key dates (provisional):
Pre show meetings: (8.5 days)
- Mid-late July: Meet with Director (0.25 days)
- August: Create mood board for show (2 days)
- Mid-late August: Director meeting (0.25 days)
- Early Sep: Creative Team meeting (0.25 days)
- w/c 7 December: Paper Tech (0.75 days)
- Design work est. 5 days
Rehearsals: (2 days)
- 27 – 29 Feb (10am-6pm) London, (location TBC) (1 day)
- 4 – 8 March (10am-6pm) Manchester (location TBC) (1 day)
Show week: (5 days – show operated by venue team)
- Monday 11 March, 10am-6pm
- Tuesday 12 March, 10am-6pm
- Wednesday 13 March, 10am-6pm
- Thursday 14 March, 10am-6pm
- Friday 15 March, 10am-6pm
The production (name TBD) comprises 4x 30 minute mono/dialogues by disabled performers with integrated access elements. They explore themes of relationships, culture, dis/connection, intimacy and identity. It is the culmination of our Launchpad disabled artist development programme. Please read more about the pieces here [LINK].
CRIPtic Arts is seeking a sound designer to create a cohesive design for a production featuring four mono/dialogues by disabled performers (2 hours). You will work with the director and wider creative team to design a cohesive soundscape reflecting the individual identities of the pieces and the themes and motifs of the full show.
The production will be staged at HOME Theatre in Manchester in March 2024, which will also be filmed and broadcast online. You will need to be able to programme the show on QLab.
We have some budget for additional purchases and hire.
Access is central to this production, and the eventual design will need to meet with the access needs of both performers and audiences. It is core to our organisational ethos that we are always finding ways of developing and promoting the careers of disabled people, so we are looking for people for whom this role would offer a step up within the industry.
Main duties will include:
- Design and oversee the sound design for the show
- Work alongside the creative team and participate in design and production meetings as required
- When designing the sound scape, to ensure that it meets with the access requirements of the performers and audiences
- To attend technical and dress rehearsals and take responsibility for issues concerning the sound design
- To be present at the dates agreed in advance with the Director and Producer
- To lead or assist in any reasonable requests in line with the role of a Sound Designer
- You must be disabled (to see what that means to CRIPtic, click here)
- Experience as part of a sound design team on at least one professional show
- Able to work closely with the director, creative teams and artists to come up with creative ideas
- Experience liaising with directors, artists and producers either as a sound designer or in another theatre role
- Experience of writing a sound script
- Willingness to learn about creating accessible sound design, if you do not have pre-existing knowledge
- Qlab experience
- Qualification in sound design or theatre with significant sound design component
- Experience in creating accessible sound design and understanding of potential access issues for disabled audiences and performers with sound design
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a portfolio of your work and CV. Your CV can submitted as a 2 page document in written English, or a 4 minute audio or video clip (video clips can be in English or BSL) Please include the job title of the job you are applying for in the subject line.
We are particularly keen to hear from applicants who cannot work without wheelchair access, BSL interpreters (when working with non-signers), or 1:1 support, as part of our commitment to ensuring we are creating opportunities for those whose needs may not be met elsewhere. We are also particularly keen to hear from applicants from the global majority.
The deadline for applications is 5pm on 28th June.
We are interviewing for this position on a rolling basis. We may hold interviews and appoint the role before the application deadline. We therefore advise you to apply quickly. We will update the CRIPtic Arts website if we fill this position before the application deadline.